Governance Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions related to OneIT Governance please contact the OneIT Riverguides at email@example.com
The role of the ‘Riverguide’ was established when the OneIT governance process was launched in September 2017. They assist in guiding OneIT Staff through the governance process. Riverguides provide governance process oversight, communication, visibility of projects via the OneIT intranet and project insights sessions, and transparency, with a clear, consistent process for all.
OneIT Councils have expertise in a specific domain, raise and collect issues within that area of responsibility, analyze the issues, and make recommendations. They engage other IT governance groups, UI governance groups, and general campus stakeholders, as appropriate. Members are subject matter experts, and each council has a chairperson and a facilitator.
The six councils are:
- Assists in setting the strategic agenda for domain-specific IT decisions
- Ensures that outcomes and priorities for each council are communicated back to the campus
- Leads domain-specific IT collaboration efforts across campus
- Ensures that appropriate stakeholders have opportunity for input and reaction
- Creates and charges subcommittees or task forces as needed for deeper exploration/engagement
- Advocates for necessary domain-specific IT resource allocations
The OneIT Operations Team handles day-to-day coordination and change-management and ensures requests are managed by appropriate groups. Membership is primarily IT leaders. This group is charged with IT project and service communication and coordination, working within and through the IT governance process.
The OneIT Strategy Team receives recommendations and aligns strategies across councils. Members are council leaders and facilitators, and the Chief Information Officer.
The role of the strategy team is to:
- Prioritize activities across councils
- Develop the Campus IT Strategic Plan (2-4 years)
- Develop IT Roadmaps (6-month)
- Align IT with campus strategic planning effort
OneIT Governance aims to:
- Improve communication and visibility of IT project and services
- Provide clarity on IT decision-making
- Align investments of money and time with strategy
- Minimize risk
- Broaden input from the campus community regarding strategic direction and priorities
Send an e-mail to IT-PMO@uiowa.edu requesting to be added. A member of the IT PMO will contact you to get you on the schedule.